Sunday, July 21, 2013

Bathroom Remodel #2

Hi there, hope everyone is having a splendid Summer!  A few months ago we started the remodel of the "master" bathroom, and we are happy to report that it is finally fully complete!  To give you an idea, here's what the bathroom looked like when we first bought the house four years ago...


Not the most stylish decor, right?  We think they built the little blue cabinets to the left of the shower so they could use a standard size square shower pan.  We decided that we'd rather have a larger custom shower than the awkward cabinets to the left, so tore everything out.

After the tearout, I had a couple of very busy weeks at work, and Ted was a trooper in doing most of the tiling work himself.  Here are a couple in progress photos:


Ted putting up the water vapor barrier, setting up the floor basin, and putting up the first few pieces of tile.






 


Thanks to my Dad for hooking us up with the shower hardware and to Ted for making that sweet little shelf out of a cut piece of tile.

    


A close up of the different pieces of tile used.  The floor needed to be a smaller size tile to help with the slope needed to drain water properly.



We bought the sink and vanity from HD Supply in Ventura, similar to what we have in the other bathroom.  What we left to the pros this time was, we had the glass shower door custom ordered and installed.



And that's a wrap!  Until the next project...
--Christina & Ted

Sunday, April 7, 2013

DIY Headboard

Hello there!  Has it really been almost a year since we last posted?  Time is flying!  Here's a little project we did yesterday, a DIY Headboard:


We got a new king size bed a couple of weeks ago (so much roomier than the queen), and decided to build a headboard to go with it!  Making the headboard was pretty simple and took under 2 hours.  The most annoying part was the shopping and going to different places trying to find all the items we needed to make it!  Here's what we used:
  • Standard sheet of plywood from Home Depot ($30) that Ted cut down to 42" x 78" with a little curved edge on each top end.  It was quite the adventure tying this down onto Ted's roof rack and driving home.  It was a windy day, took multiple attempts, and we had to drive very slowly, but finally got it home in one piece.
  • The foam.  Oh, the FOAM.  We wanted the headboard to have a little bit of cushion and thickness to it, so wanted to purchase some of that standard 2" thick rectangular green foam sheeting.  Should be easy to find and cheap, right?  Apparently not...it was going to be over $100 when you buy it by the yard at Joann's in Oxnard, and we weren't having that for some stupid green foam. So, we ventured next door over to the Walmart in Oxnard...not the smartest idea we ever had.  Not to sound elitist, but those of you who live in the area know...you just don't go there unless you are really desperate for something you can't find somewhere else.  We didn't have any luck there (other than leaving with a new kite, a jar of Nutella, and crushed dreams), so had to revisit our game plan.
  • We read online somewhere that some people used egg crate mattress toppers instead of the expensive foam stuff, so we were pretty much immediately sold on this idea.  A quick trip to Target and we walked out of there with 2 queen size mattress toppers for about $50.
  • Spray adhesive glue from Home Depot to attach the mattress toppers to each other and to the plywood ($5).
  • Standard quilting batting to wrap around the mattress toppers and plywood - $12 from the trusty Oxnard Walmart.
  • Staples and staple gun to attach the batting around the mattress toppers and plywood - already had on hand.
  • After searching at the Oxnard Joann's, Walmart, Michael's, and finding out that the old fabric store in Camarillo is now a pet store...we found this fabric pattern at the Joann's in Thousand Oaks.  It was $45 for 2.5 yards.  We were pretty tired at this point after 4 hours of shopping for this little project, saw this one, and decided to go for it.  We always gravitate towards the simple grey or taupe colors, so it was a bit of a stretch for us.  We were also going to do covered buttons, but didn't think this pattern needed them.
And there you have it!  A simple DIY Headboard that should only take 3-4 hours including shopping - just plan out what supplies you need ahead of time, and just say no to Walmart...although we did fly a pretty sweet kite today because of that random shopping trip!  Total headboard cost: approximately $150 if you have electric saws and a staple gun already on hand.